White House Protest Corps


Fascist Scumbaggi Berlusconi’s Fingers in the Electoral Spaghetti

Italy’s cabinet passes decree over election chaos

Original link in Reuters
Fri, Mar 5 2010

* Cabinet passes decree over election chaos

* Opposition says emergency legislation “unconstitutional”

(Adds cabinet decree, opposition comments, Berlusconi)

By Antonella Cinelli and Daniel Flynn

ROME, March 5 (Reuters) – Italy’s cabinet passed a decree on Friday aimed at reinstating candidates from Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi’s party stripped from ballots in two key regions due to irregularities in presenting their candidacies.

Opposition politicians said the legislation, approved by an emergency cabinet meeting late on Friday, was unconstitutional because it interfered with electoral law ahead of the March 28-29 regional polls.

However, Interior Minister Roberto Maroni said the decree did not change electoral rules but aimed to ensure they were interpreted “in the correct way” by magistrates.

Courts in Lombardy, home to Italy’s industrial hub Milan, and Lazio, which houses its political capital Rome, are studying appeals by Berlusconi’s People of Freedom (PDL) party to restore politicians stripped from the ballot.

“We thought it was necessary to give an authentic interpretation of the current law, without changing it, to allow the judges of the regional courts to apply it in the correct way,” Maroni told journalists after the cabinet meeting.

A government statement said the decree clarified rules concerning candidate lists and appeals against the decision of electoral authorities.

The regional polls in 13 of Italy’s 20 regions are seen as a test of national strength for Berlusconi’s centre-right coalition, rocked by a string of scandals over the last year. The decree has been sent to President Giorgio Napolitano for his approval and could become official as soon as Saturday.

Italian media said left-leaning Napolitano, who met with Berlusconi on Thursday, had opposed the 73-year-old media tycoon’s proposal to postpone the elections in the two regions.

Berlusconi said on Friday his cabinet would “give back the right to vote” to people in Lazio and Lombardy.


Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s



%d bloggers like this: